Apply online now. A Union Federal Private Student
Loan is a smart way to cover college essentials.
SunTrust can help finance your education with flexible options. The sooner you start filling out our simple application the sooner you can relax. We've been helping students like you for years, and we can help you too.
A few simple things to
know before you apply.
Multiple Loan Options
Take a moment to consider the best way for you to pay back your loan.
- In-School Deferment1, 4
- Immediate Repayment2
- Interest-Only Repayment3
- Partial Interest Repayment3, 4
Interest Rate Options
Choose between a fixed or variable rate
Choose your own loan term
What you want, including
a graduation present.
Even a small percentage can make
a difference in your bank account.
- 0.25% interest rate reduction for consistently making on-time payments5
- 0.25% interest rate reduction for automatic loan payment withdrawal6
- 0.25% interest rate reduction if you make automatic payments from a SunTrust bank account6
- 1% principal reduction per loan with proof of graduation7
With this new option, students can refinance existing private student loans into a new Union Federal Private Student Loan.
- Your new loan will give you the flexibility to select a repayment term and repayment option that is right for you now.
- The process is easy – after approval this option will be presented – just list which loans you’d like to refinance.
- Learn more about the In-School Refinance Option.
Am I eligible?
In addition to tuition, your loan can also help pay for books, lab fees and other expenses.
- Be enrolled at least half-time at a Title IV eligible institution in a degree-granting program
- Be the legal age of majority, or at least 17 years of age at the time of application if applying with a cosigner who meets the age of majority requirements in the cosigner's state of residence.8
- Have a good credit record, with no student loan defaults or bankruptcies
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident alien, unless you are an eligible international student applying with an eligible cosigner who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident alien. The Union Federal Private Student Loan is not available to students or cosigners whose permanent residency state is Iowa or Wisconsin.
Cosigners are great.
If someone with a good credit history is a cosigner, your Union Federal Private Student Loan could be more likely to be approved. It could be an eligible parent, guardian, or a friend.